français

arcenciel at the 2012 Beirut Marathon
arcenciel was very active at the Beirut Marathon on Sunday the 11th of November 2012.

"bouchons roulants" gathered many young volunteers who carried plastic trash bags for athletes to dispose of the distributed water bottles. The initiative to sort and recycle discarded bottles at the marathon is the result of a fruitful collaboration between arcenciel, Green and Rotaract. Sorted trash bins were also available along the marathon course, color coded with the arcenciel colors.  

arcenciel collected the total amount of 151 kg of bottles and 11 kg of caps; the beneficial impact on the environment was:
  • a total of 6,500 liters in volume of waste were kept from going into already full lebanese landfills
  • around 10 kg of crude oil were economized, and the energy spent extracting it
  • around 46 kg of CO2 gas were prevented from being released into our atmosphere
Another awareness for another cause was there with the Lebanese champion athlete Pia Nehme ran for himaya. The first Lebanese women to cross the finishing line gave loud voice to the children by offering to run for himaya herself and posting the following that same day on her facebook page:  


“I am so thankful for my fans, my friends, my family, and Nadim... Without their support I wouldn't have been able to complete this Marathon. The weather was crazy! My stomach was crazier! … I thought about quitting... but I kept thinking about the kids at Himaya who don't have the luxury of quitting the fight for their lives... I made it through the finish line... and I won... for them.”
Despite the rain the marathon was a success. See you next year!